Author Website: http://www.denisevega.com
Denise Vega is the award-winning author of five books for kids, from toddler to teen, including her “blog” books: Click Here (to find out how i survived seventh grade) – a Colorado Book Award winner – and Access Denied (and other eighth grade error messages). Her other YA novels are the award-winning Fact of Life #31 and the forthcoming Rock On: A story of guitars, gigs, girls, and a brother (not necessarily in that order). Her picture books include Build a Burrito, and the award-winning Grandmother, Have the Angels Come? Denise is a Co-Regional Advisor of the Rocky Mountain Chapter of SCBWI and lives in Denver with her family where she loves to hike, walk, swim, read and eat French fries. Oh, and she can’t stand cheese so don’t even consider putting it in or on anything if you have her over for dinner unless you are sure she won’t be able to taste it! See her “Cheese Rant” on the Blab-o-Denise page on her website. Find out more about Denise, her books, and her idiosyncrasies on her website.
- Writing and revising sessions (minimum 1 hour)
- Journey of a Writer
- How Does a Book Become a Book?
- Can Denise Really Write in That Mess?
- What is Voice? Used in conjunction with my tween book Click Here (to find out how i survived seventh grade) Fact of Life #31, ROCK ON depending on grade level
- Multi-Generations and Our Five Senses using my picture book Grandmother, Have the Angels Come?
- Counting in English and Spanish using Build a Burrito: A Counting Book in English and Spanish
- Middle school
- High school
- Adult writing and literature programs
Flexible Mon-Fri 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 pm Mountain Time, evenings and Saturdays under special circumstances.
No recording of Skype Sessions without permission from the author.
No Charge Meet the Author Visit: 10-15 "hi, how's it going?/Q&A" session
In-Depth Visit Length:
Flexible, but normally 30 minutes - 1 hour (I'm sure after that you'll be ready to move on and get a snack).
Writing and revising sessions can be longer.
In-Depth Visit Cost:
Varies depending on session, but approximately $75-100 per hour, compared to $100-150 for in-person.
Fees negotiable or waived for Title I schools and those with financial challenges.
If the focus is on one or more of my books, students/attendees should have read at least one of the books being discussed.
Please fill out my Visit Form
- Author's Guild
- Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators
- Colorado Author's League
- CCIRA (Colorado Council of the International Reading Association)
- ALAN (Assembly on Literature for Adolescents)
- RORCO (Reach Out and Read Colorado)